Kim came from very humble beginnings. She was born in Vietnam. In 1978, she, her mother and brother were among the “boat people” who escaped to a refugee camp in Malaysia where they lived under a plastic tarp. She supported herself through college and worked in public accounting with Arthur Andersen until the firm imploded in May 2002. At that time, Kim was eight months pregnant with her first child and had a professional identity crisis.
In 2003, Kim took the entrepreneurial plunge while five months pregnant with her second child and founded A2Q2 to help two friends get their work visas.
A2Q2 is a Special Ops team of CPAs specializing in data analytics, NetSuite & accounting processes, and internal controls & SOX compliance. Its clients included Silicon Valley high growth and public companies including Airbnb, Uber, Stanford University and Verifone. A2Q2 has a double bottom line division dedicated to supporting non-profits through outsourced accounting at reduced rates.
· Founder of Directors League (2018-present)
· National Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award – Financial Executives Intl (2017)
· Female CEO of the Year- California by Corporate Vision Magazine (2016)
· California Society of CPAs Women to Watch Trailblazer (2015)
· 100 Most Influential Women by Silicon Valley Business Journal (2013)
· President’s Award by Ascend Leadership (2012, 2013)
· Board of Directors of MidPen Housing (2012 – present)
· Speaker on advancing entrepreneurship and leadership for women and people of color
Kim regularly speaks on advancing Asian leadership for Ascend and women leadership for Wilpower (part of Leading Women in Technology). Kim is part of Hipower, a select group of women corporate leaders focused on accelerating each woman’s leadership role from professional success to wide-ranging significance.
Kim currently serves as the Audit Committee Chair on the board of MidPen Housing. Kim is also on the Board of the Silicon Valley Directors’ Exchange. Kim is a Senior Fellow (Class XXV) in American Leadership Forum, a network of regional leaders committed to serving the common good in Silicon Valley.
In her spare time, she crashes motorcycles and runs Tough Mudder events.